Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Red Clovers in the Kitchen


The recipe I thought sounded the most interesting was “Red Clover Rice” from Prodigal Gardens. I collected the best looking flowers I could find from my yard and my neighbor’s. The total amount of flowers I collected came to about 2 cups. The recipe doesn’t have the specific recipe outlines that I’m used to, so I decided to improvise it.

First, I made 1 cup of brown rice, with 3 cups of water and ½ tbs of butter in my rice cooker, seasoned with salt and pepper. While that was cooking, I cut the Clover flowers off from their stem and sautéed them with 1-2tbs of butter, salt and pepper at a low temperature. You’ll notice that the flowers shrink up a lot. Keep this in mind when you’re picking them. I took the recipe’s advice to sweeten the dish, but only used ¼ cup of walnuts and 1/3 cup of honey.

Once finished I plopped the rice in a bowl and put the sautéed Clovers on top with fresh Clover as garnish. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the dish. The flowers had a really rustic taste to them that went particularly well with the sweetness of the honey and the crunch of the walnuts.

I would definitely recommend this recipe to others and strongly encourage tweaking it to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment